We are regularly inspection by a whole host of official bodies whom we are certified and registered with, and we are delighted by the officers comments from our most recent Soil Association visit.
We have had a very dry and sunny summer so far, so the current deluge of rain we are receiving this weekend is more than welcome on the farm. Without the rain, our lovely, lush, organic grass is slow to grow, which means having to use our winter silage far earlier than usual. A problem facing farmers nation wide this year. However, careful pasture management and a respite from the hot weather means we may be luckier than others.
The warm weather has meant our fruit has ripened early, and although a little smaller this year, plentiful and juicy. We have blackberries, damsons, eating apples and plums.
Our organic courgettes are now in season, along with the beautiful flowers which are popular with our customers to eat too.
We have our beautiful sunflowers for sale also, so bright and cheerful.
Val is busy cooking her delicious selection of cakes, jams and chutneys, along with Cornish Pasties, splits, saffron buns and breads to order.
Our organic cucumbers are still growing in abundance to a HUGE size this year!
The good weather has meant Mawgan Porth has had a bumper summer of visitors. One of which includes our intrepid traveller, customer, artist, friend and cook, Beth Osbourne. Beth has been beautifully, documenting her fascinating #52cookbookchallenge and has included some of our produce in her culinary adventures. Check out @bethfrombristol on Instagram, follow her on Picbear, or read up about her challenge so far in this article from the Independant.
We had an unusually long and cold winter in Cornwall this year. That meant that like other local market gardeners, we were late to be able to grow our seasonal, vegetable produce. Being certified Organic, also means our growing season is a little slower, as we do not use chemical fertilisers or pesticides.
However, slow grown tastes all the better in our opinion. By not rushing the natural process, all our produce is full of flavour and tastes delicious!
We are still facing challenges, we haven’t had rain for months, but we fight on raising those little seeds and sproutlings to fruition!
The good news is now we are seeing the fruits of our labour. In the shop we now have our Organic lettuce, rainbow chard, spinach, potatoes, cucumbers, french beans, red and white onions.
Not far off are our delicious tomatoes, courgette, runner beans and broad beans.
Our farmhouse kitchen produce has also been flying out of the shop.
Scrumptious jams, scones and traditional Cornish baked goods are always popular with our lovely customers.
Pop by or ring us on 01637 860635 to make an order!
Tonights’ supper was a super easy and super tasty, crowd pleaser. Our Organic Top Rump beef benefits beautifully from slow cooking, resulting in a magnificent, mouth watering meal. Follow our recipe (measurements are with flair and flounce according to taste!) for an easy meal, perfect for entertaining.
- Gluvian Organics Top Rump Beef Joint
- Organic beef stock cube or home made stock
- Two tablespoons of black pepper
- Two cloves of fresh, crushed organic garlic
- One of our finely chopped organic onions
- Half a cup of organic red wine vinegar
- Few springs of fresh thyme or two tablespoons of dried thyme
- Two tablespoons of organic rapeseed or vegetable oil
- Heat half the oil in a heavy based pan
- Coat the joint in the the rest of the oil and the pepper, garlic and thyme
- Sear all sides of the joint twice
- Add the red wine vinegar and stock to a slow cooker
- Add the joint and contents of the pan, baste well
- Cover and cook on low for at least 8/9 hours, depending on the joint size (we do turn and baste every few hours, but it’s not necessary!)
- Rest for 10 minutes
- Shred with two forks and spoon over some of the juices from the slow cooker to keep moist
- Serve on our fresh, farmhouse, Cornish Splits, spread with local organic butter and a dollop of horseradish sauce – enjoy!
Shrove Tuesday, was traditionally the last chance to each a range of forbidden foods over the Christian period of Lent, leading up to Easter. Our free range, lovely ladies, have not let the winter slow them down and have been laying a plenty. Our customers really can taste the difference! Try our eggs in this traditional British pancake recipe from deliaonline.com.
One of our homemade family favourites at any time of year, but a particularly economic and warming comfort food during the winter months. We use our own organic beef mince and organic vegetables, hope you enjoy our recipe. Our measurements are down to personal preference!
- Peel and chop potatoes, carrots and swede or turnip. Boil until tender. Add butter, milk and season. Mash and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, brown mince and onion, add finely chopped garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add a dollop of tomato puree and some thyme (fresh is best, but dried also good). We make our own beef stock, but organic stock is readily available. Add the stock and cover with water, bring to the boil, stirring until it thickens to a gravy. Remove from heat. Again, leave to cool a little (we sometimes leave until the next day as the flavour intensifies).
- Transfer to an oven proof dish. Top the mince with the mash and grate some organic full bodied cheddar cheese on top.
- Put in a medium oven until heated through and cheese is bubbling. Enjoy with fresh, seasonal, organic vegetables!
If you’re after a truly, traditional, Cornish Christmas, then look no further than Gluvian Farm Organics to help you entertain this season! Fresh meat day this December is Thursday 7th – our Organic, Prime Hereford Beef. Order your favourite cuts for the holidays. In addition, we have our succulent Organic Lamb and Pork, all to help with your celebrations. Our fresh, seasonal, Organic vegetables and our delicious home produce, made in our farmhouse kitchen will meet all your holiday table requirements.
Home made chutneys, pickles and jellys will all compliment your platters. Order our tasty, savoury game or ham and egg pies, sausage rolls, pasty pies and beef patty pies. Our Christmas cakes, Christmas puddings, congress tarts, mince pies, almond tarts and saffron buns will change your menu into a truly, traditional, festive feast.
Order now on 01637 860635, to ensure you can enjoy your Organic Cornish Christmas!